If You Have a Sinus Infection, Don’t Consume These Foods
Food products that can clear sinus infections
- Warm drinks such as tea or similar ones promote movement of the mucus through the sinuses because they moisten the dry mucus membranes.
- Foods that have a high content of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E and zinc. Vitamin A is especially helpful because is able to aid the building of healthy mucus membranes in the head and the throat.
- Orange and yellow vegetables and fruits, vegetable oils, nuts, seeds, red meat, seafood and poultry are recommended in case of a sinus infection. Fruits, tomatoes and leafy green vegetables are an excellent source of vitamin A. Citrus fruits like grapefruits and lemons are high in vitamin C. meanwhile, you can obtain vitamin E from seeds, nuts and vegetables oils. Zinc is contained in red meat, seafood and poultry.
- Crushed garlic contains allicin. Allicin is an enzyme that is able to destroy and kill bacteria and viruses that cause the infection of the sinuses.
- Coconut water is excellent as well because it is loaded with potassium and cleanses the body.
- Spicy foods such as peppers, jalapeno peppers and horseradish cause release of mucus in the nostrils and cleanse the sinuses. However, avoid them if you suffer from acid reflux because this can cause swelling, blocking and irritation of the nasal passages.
- The amino acid in chicken soup, cysteine, breaks down the mucus.
- Bromelain in pineapples is an excellent way to treat an inflammation of the sinuses.
Foods that you should not consume if you are suffering from sinus congestion:
- Caffeine because it makes you adrenal glands weaker
- Refined carbs such as rice, white bread and pasta
- Starchy food
- Refined vegetable oil
- Food with additives in them
- Fermented foods such as beer, sauerkraut, cheese and wine
- Foods that contain high levels of sugar such as soft drinks, desserts and ice cream
- Fried foods
- Foods that contain omega 6 fatty acids
- Saturated and trans fats
- Cow’s milk